Jerry Hill Deluxe Arrows

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas

Jerry Hill Deluxe Arrows

Message par vikingarrows le Mar 13 Sep - 13:21

Un nouveau partenariat pour Viking Arrows !!!

JERRY HILL DELUXE ARROWS

Trois modèles de flèches HILL seront prochainement disponibles sur le site vikingarrows.com en exclusivité.
La production est supervisée par Jerry Hill, chaque détail sera fidèle à ses spécifications.

ARCHERY NEWS!!!!
Just a short mention to inform all of you, that a deal is in the works between myself and Viking Arrows of France, on the marketing of a state of the art made JERRY HILL DELUXE ARROW. They will be made in three styles, using Norweigan pine wood. Norweigan pine is the finest arrow shaft material in the world you can use. The grain in these wooden arrows is so straight, you could lay a straight edge on them. The JERRY HILL DELUXE ARROWS, will feature the HILL FRENCH CURVE feather length and shape. It will be the first time offered outside the Hill family. It was originally designed by Howard Hill, and because of his teachings to me, they have always been used on my personal arrows as well. In addition, for those of you that wish to make your own arrows. I am also in the process of having a feather chopper made, per HILL FRENCH CURVE design. More news will follow with pictures. JERRY HILL.......
vikingarrows

http://vikingarrows.com

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Jerry Hill Deluxe Arrows

Message par philax le Mar 13 Sep - 17:11

Et quel partenariat ! Bravo Julien !
philax
Membre Bienfaiteur
Membre Bienfaiteur

Message par David-Off le Mar 13 Sep - 17:18

David-Off
Membre Bienfaiteur
Membre Bienfaiteur

Message par CANAIMA le Mer 14 Sep - 12:11

Quand auras-tu les premiers prototypes avec tes commentaires ?

CANAIMA

Message par vikingarrows le Mer 14 Sep - 16:55

la suite,

désolé c'est en Anglais, mais un peu trop long à traduire ce soir...

ARCHERY NEWS!!! CONTINUED......
I realize that with my first announcement of the forthcoming JERRY HILL DELUXE ARROW. Many of you are talking and wondering about my decision. So, hopefully this writing will gain for you a better insight into my thoughts and reason. 
Over the years, my choice of arrow shaft was Port Orford cedar. I felt that there was no better choice to be had from mother nature. All during my life, i have had the opportunity of trying different types of wood shafting. Many that make them, with their own pride intertwined, have sent to me for testing. I have not found one single provider, to send to me any shaft that was pourly made. Each one was as well made, as the wood used would allow. Kevin Forrester of Forrester Arrows, sent to me awhile back some shafts, that were quite unique. They featured differant types of wood, that I have never had the pleasure to shoot. Each one shot very well, some shot heavier than the other. This was understandable, due to the wood itself. But, all in all, I found no fault with his offerings. Those that are looking for something different, should give Kevin a call. He is a super nice fellow, and loves what he is trying to provide to todays traditional archer. Give him a call.
Another company sent to me some shafts. SUREWOOD SHAFTS, some good old time archers have joined forces to make shafts. They have a good time producing them, not caring to get rich, just cover their over head, and put a little extra jingle in their retirement pockets. They offer a great choice for DIY arrowsmiths. Give them a call, they'll treat you like an old friend.
My search for the best arrow wood, that i would be willing to put my name own, seemed to be doubtful. I ask from others, their thoughts about the newest carbons., realizing that it may be the arrow by choice of the future. I myself, shot some, but there was something missing. I found it so hard to turn my back on mother nature. Several of todays top traditional archers had already gone that way. I just couldn't bring myself to do this so easily. I was old school, through and through. I finally came to the decision that i came into the sport of archery on a wooden arrow, so therefore, i would ride upon it out of this place, when my life comes to an end.
Port Orford cedar had been the stand by, during my life. However instead of making up one hundred and then shooting and grading them into shoot alike groups. It had now gotten to the point that i was making up two hundred or three hundred, to get the few i would keep for myself. Local kids loved the freebees, but it was getting into my pocket book. Got to the point, i hated i would break one or loose it while hunting. That had never been a thought of mine growing up, and these kinds of modern thoughts were not welcomed. Hunting arrows are made for hunting and that means shooting them without the worry of thought of losing one or breaking one, from time to time. I like shooting mine, not just carrying them around in order to look impressive to others.
I was reading one night recently. Polishing up on my history of the sport of archery. I was reading about the Kings of old, and the army's of archers they had. Many historian writers, such as Edmund Der and Duff, were well respected writers, that spent much time studying and then recording their findings. Duff, was talking about various arrow woods. He kept mentioning Norweigan pine from the Baltic sea region, being the best. Now i had heard of it, many years ago, but never could get my hands on it. The closest i could get was Alabama old growth long leaf heart pine. Uncle Howard had used it, while making his flight record in 1926. Availability was difficult, unless someone was tearing down an old building, then you might get a little. If you did, you were lucky, as it is like gold in value of price. 
The more i read about archers of old the more and more, i discovered how important Norweigan pine was and how well guarded by the Kings. Many referred to its name as Deal, Finnish pine and etc. However the name chosen to describe the pine tree growing in the Baltic forest, was the same. The tree grew tall and straight in a cold climate at times. Therefore the annual tree growing rings were tight and straight. The wood retained the right amount of spring, making it far more superior to other woods, including Port Orford cedar. This type of pine tree grows elsewhere in the world, but due to the Baltic sea forest climate, it is more superior if gotten from there for arrow making. 
After all my studies during my life time. I felt i had finally made the discovery i needed. I would no longer have to worry about turning my back on mother nature or my past preferences. I would miss, i was sure the great smell, of the port orford cedar shavings. But i new that the smell of a venison steak on an open fire, a deer brought down by the best wooden arrow on earth, would be worth it all. 
Next came the desire to share my findings and make it available to all archers that wish to follow. In order to make it possible, and not bog down my retirement life, i needed an arrowsmith, that would listen to me and my governed ways, in the way of making, what i figured to be the perfect arrow. For years now, i have followed Julien Besio-Laurens at Viking Arrows. He never new I was watching over his shoulder. I saw early on, that he loved making arrows and the arch of a good bow. He had the natural drive of perfection, in the manufacture of an arrow like no other i new. I new early on that if he would stay with the craft, he would be one of the best someday. I feel that at this time, he has paid his dues as a ARROWSMITH. I feel that his learned knowledge, has brought him far, and his work will be compared to by future arrowsmiths. All in all, it did not make since to have the needed wood shipped so far in the desired making of wooden arrows. Therefore, Julien was the perfect choice, for me to team up with. The wood would be readily available to him, creating a perfect set up. After much discussion between myself and him, we struck a deal. He would make them and market them through VIKING ARROWS. The way of manufacture would be governed by me, as many of the types or styles would take on the looks of Howard Hills personal arrows, as well as my own . One important aspect would be the fletching of the arrow itself. No common use of open market fletching designs, would be used or allowed. Only the use of a modern nock, by popular choice of archers would be used. The choice was Bohning Classic in 5/16, due to the fact the shafts would be tapered, as per the instructions in HUNTING THE HARD WAY. Point choice would be left up to the archer, even though brass points would be available, they being mine and uncle Howards favorite. Crown dipping, cresting and overall construction will be copied from the arrows once used in the HILL family. For the first time in the history of archery, the HILL FRENCH CURVE. feather shape will be offered. A hidden secret, that uncle Howard, only shared with me and possibly a few of his closest friends. But i have my doubts, after asking some of them, if in fact did they know the knowledge. Classic looking arrows, that so many of archers today will be proud to own. Recreations taken to the highest level, in modern times. The search for me was over. I had found the perfect and best arrow wood on the planet of Earth. I would not be turning my back on mother nature after all. No more aluminum noise to put up with and no worry of carbon's shattering and getting in my meat. I had teamed up with a young enough arrowsmith, that would listen to my desires, and help me make my dream come true. Someone who would take the necessary pride, to produce the best quality. Julien at VIKING ARROWS, is my choice. He already is admired by those archers that have come to know him personally. Remember his name, as I believe he will be mentioned in books later in years. With the making and purchase and shooting of this new JERRY HILL DELUXE ARROW, the HILL SPIRIT of archery will live on, even after I am gone.JERRY HILL......
vikingarrows

Message par hector ' le Mer 14 Sep - 17:53

Chapeaux bas  !!! en tous les cas !!!!

Bravo. Very Happy

hector '

Message par CANAIMA le Mer 14 Sep - 18:13

Sir JULIAN. Je vais te renvoyer toute mes flèches pour que tu me les retournes dédicacées. En tout cas champagne quand on se voit en Novembre !!!

CANAIMA

Message par Fidjbow le Lun 19 Sep - 20:05

La récompense pour un travail de qualité : bravo Jul
Fidjbow
Membre Bienfaiteur
Membre Bienfaiteur

http://fidjbow.com; http://fidjbowcompany.com

Message par PhilB le Mar 20 Sep - 7:44

Un travail de qualité reconnu, ça fait plaisir !
PhilB

Message par vikingarrows le Mar 20 Sep - 10:39

Voici le gabarit de la "HILL FRENCH CURVE", fabriqué à partir d'un filament de coupe plumes, mis en forme par Howard Hill.

Dernière édition par vikingarrows le Mar 27 Sep - 15:46, édité 1 fois
vikingarrows

Message par CANAIMA le Mar 20 Sep - 19:21

Ce dont on a parlé ???

CANAIMA

Message par vikingarrows le Mar 20 Sep - 19:27

CANAIMA a écrit:Ce dont on a parlé ???

spécialement pour toi (qui n'est pas inscrit sur le célèbre réseau social) et en Anglais, tu peux traduire si bon te semble...

HILL FRENCH CURVE
In further continuation of enlightening my fellow archers, about the forth coming JERRY HILL DELUXE ARROWS, to be made by my selected arrowsmith. I wanted to explain the fletching of my special arrow, and how such things came to me. 
Back when uncle Howard returned to Wilsonville Alabama to retire in 1964. It gave to me the opportunity to learn much from him. Beforehand, it would be during visits, once or twice per year. Normally he would call and say he would be here around watermelon cutting time or would come right before Christmas and stay till after New Years. Before I was born, he would send his mother a telegram, saying only a couple of words like, "OH YOU CHICKEN",HOWARD. His mother would get all excited and tell everyone, "OH, MY BABY IS COMING HOME", "AND HE WANTS FRIED CHICKEN", "I'VE GOT TO HURRY AND RING A CHICKENS, NECK". Family and friends from all around would be invited, to come and eat. A big crowd would always show up to hear all the Hollywood gossip. Naturally he had plenty to tell, as in Hollywood he ran with them all.
After retiring, I practically lived with him, and he often said to me, that I was as close to him as a son. Guess that is why he gave to me his mothers wedding band. When he did, he gave me strick instructions, that if I decided to ever get married, I was not to let my new wife wear it unless I felt her worthy. I never did with the first, but the second wife was everything I could ask for. I presented the cherished ring to Jan and she will take it to her grave.
As my archery shooting improved, questioning every other day, in order to get it right. We started making arrows for a rabbit hunt we were planning. The arrows that we were going to use, were strictly for hunting,, nothing fancy to look at. The way they were made was the same way as explained in his book, HUNTING THE HARD WAY. We didn't hand taper these as he said it would not be necessary. We hand straightened over a open flame, after cutting to length and tapering for nocks. The point end was not tapered, as we were going to use 38 pistol shells for blunts. The pistol shells did not need glueing, as they slid on tightly, after dropping them down onto concrete. Next we glued on our nocks, paying close attention to the grain of the port orford shafts, and allowed them to dry. After we were satisfied that they were dry, we took a rag and dipped it into a quart of varnish and wiped the shafts good for sealing. One by one we stood the shafts up along a wall, facing toward the sun and went inside to eat lunch. After lunch we came back outside and everything was dry and ready for fletching of feathers. He got me started, with how to arrange the fletchings, pinning them down with round head straight pins, first one at the rear and then moving the front over just a little. After i had applied all three, i would pass mine over for his inspection, making sure i was doing it right. After i had done twenty, he told me i was doing fine, and he wouldn't have to inspect mine no more. We made up at least 100. After having them all pinned, we set into glueing. He had gotten two large tubes of Seal-All glue at the hardware store a couple days before. We removed the caps on the glue tubes and punched a small hole in the end to let the glue escape. He took a pair of slip joint pliers and mashed the end slightly so the glue coming out of the tube could be controlled. Next he showed me how to run a ribbon of glue down both sides of the feather.. Once this was done, we stood them along the wall once again, for drying. After we had got to the last one, the first several was dry enough to remove the pins. The next step, we used a single edged razorblade and trimmed the front of the feather base at an angle, applying a spot of glue at the front and also at the rear of the feather base. Once again they were stood along the wall. After all of them were finally finished, he told me it was time to burn the feathers to shape. He brought out the first Young Feather burner, i had ever seen. I had tied my feathers onto my own homemade arrows before, but took a pair of mothers scissors and cut them, not so well to a shape. Our fletchings had been cut six inches in length, as sections, taking out the center and best part of a pre ground natural wild turkey feather. He set up the feather burner and had a sewing machine electrical peddle hooked to the burner power cord and then another cord running from the peddle, so it could be plugged into a wall socket. The burner was on a work bench and we stood in front. He burned the first few and i watched closely, to see how it was done. He stepped on the peddle and in no time the burning wire got real hot. He placed the arrow shaft into the burner slots and turned it ever so slowly, allowing the pre shaped burning wire to burn the feathers to shape. Each time he would take his foot off the peddle, between the burning of fletchings from one arrow to the next. He said the burning wire would last longer this way, and he wouldn't have to shape another wire for quite awhile. When i saw what this thing could do, i couldn't believe my eye's. After he did several, he ask me if i wanted to try my hand at it. I said heck yea. He said good, I'll smoke a cigarette and watch you. As i started with the first one, he cautioned me not to go to fast while turning the arrow shaft saying, "let the ribbon eat through slowly, so they will turn out perfect". Finally he took a seat in a chair, away from me, but still watching my every move. I figured out quickly why he wanted me to do the most of them, because the smell of the smoke was getting all over me and into my eyes. We had no fan, and the outside breeze wasn't blowing regularly. At first i thought this was a lot of fun, but after a while, i didn't think i would ever see the last one. Last, after burning all the feathers to shape we took a piece of sand paper and gave all the feathers a hit with it, to remove the char that was left behind on the finished shaped feather. I thought they were the finest arrows, i had ever seen. It was the first time i had ever seen the HILL FRENCH CURVE shape. Uncle Howard saw me inspecting the fletch and ask me what did i think about them. I told him i didn't know what to think, but did ask,"how do they shoot, with this shape?" He said," your going to find out, when we go rabbit hunting saturday morning.
I ask," why don't we shoot them now?" He said,"no need to, they will do fine" "besides, we been busy all day, and I'm tired". I said "ok". But couldn't hardly wait. Finally we went hunting, quivers full of arrows, with plenty of extras at the truck. Wasn't long till the beagles had a rabbit on the run. Cottontails or hillbillys as some call them, will normally run in a wide circle, and if a hunter will stand close to where the dogs had first jumped the rabbit from its bed or hiding place, he or she can normally get a fairly close shot as it passes by, with the sweet music of the beagles not far behind. Uncle Howard got the first rabbit. He had stood on top of a sawed off tree stump, and had a perfect vantage point, when the rabbit passed him. He came to draw and swung his drawn bow with the running of the rabbit. Away his released arrow flew with lightning speed, hitting the rabbit with a pop, of the blunted point arrow. He looked over where i was standing, with a big smile on his face and said, "One for the pot", holding up his pointing finger. I got lucky also, because the next two rabbits killed, i killed them. One was only hoping by at a slow pace, but the other was running wide open, because the beagles was hot on his rear. After the second one killed, uncle Howard came over to where i was standing and said, "those arrows are working out pretty good for you, don't you agree"? I said, "yes sir, the best i have ever shot". He next said," do you know why?" i told him,"it must be the feathers". He looked at me, with a big grin, and said, "bingo", "right answer". "Sit down on this log over here and i will explain some things to you about, that fletch". I did as he ask. Thinking to myself, here i am, sitting on a log beside uncle Howard. Got to be the best classroom in the whole wide world. Then, he started talking after removing an arrow from his quiver. He turned it several times, out front of him and said to me, once a shot arrow clears the bow the arrow begins to turn. If it is fletched with right wing feathers it will turn to the right. If it is fletched with left wing feathers, it will turn to the left. It is most important that all three feathers fletched onto an arrow are from the same side of the turkey. Don't ever mix them up, it won't work. In the making of arrows, always follow my steps taught to you. Select some good straight shafts and go from there. You may come up with a faster way to fletch them, as they have fletching tools now. I've got several in my garage, but i wanted us to do these the old way. Just means more to an archer, when he's finished. He continued to talk about nock placement in relation to the grain of the shaft. The importance of points being glued on straight, saying that often he would pin his points on arrows, that he planned to never change to something else. He told me, and later showed me some of his arrows whereby the blunt points and nocks were pined for exhibition shooting or film work, if the shooting of a stunt man was required. He said he could not run the risk of a nock coming off or a point, whereby a human life was at stake in a motion picture. Finally he got to the feather and its shape and said, "now Jerry, i have been noticing you looking at the feather end of your arrows we have made together, while we've been hunting". "I figure, you were trying to figure it out". "So I will explain, whats going in with these arrows". "As air passes down the length of a shot arrow, it reaches the feathered area. The feathers on an arrow are its steering wheel. If set upon the shaft correctly, they will cause it to spin and stabilize the shaft from its wobble, after being forced forward by a released bowstring. How fast a shot arrow stabilizes, depends on the size and shape of the feather. The air flow along the shaft of a shot arrow, finally meets the front of the feather at its beginning point. The way a feather is made, it has ribs, leaning slightly rearward. Air moves rearward and up along these ribs. 
TO BE CONTINUED- JERRY HILL.......

HILL FRENCH CURVE FLETCH 
Part. #2
Once, air reaches the top of the feather, it either passes on to join the next air flow coming upward or it causes the fletch to bow one way or another, as it strives to correct the bucking of the arrow during its paradox flex. This movement will vary along the full length of the feather till it reaches the rear of the fletch. Now as this is taking place there is air flow that is split, beginning at the front of the fletch and a great deal of it passes along both sides of the fletch at the same time as some of which is being channeled upward. Once the maximum amount of this air flow gets to the rear of the fletch, something different takes place. It reaches the French curve shape, and this causes the passing air flow on both sides of the feather as well as what air flow is coming over the top to collide causing a faster stabilization on the arrow shaft, rather than being allowed to pass straight off the back of the arrow that is in flight. Proper length and height of the HILL FRENCH CURVE shape of the feather enhances the required performance of a fletch, causing such increased stabilization, that the spine of an arrow becomes less critical. Not to mean that an archer can omit the spineing of an arrow in relation to given bow weight. It just will allow an archer to get away with shooting a lesser or greater spined arrow, if his arrows are fletched with the HILL FRENCH CURVE shape. Archers that follow my lead and apply my new fletch style will notice how much faster their own shot arrows will in fact stabilize, without much decrease in arrow speed. It will also improve shot broadheads, causing them to shoot more accurately. I feel that it is the greatest fletch desgn ever created. I recommend fletching ones arrows, using a straight clamp, set with an offset, no more than 1/8 inch. That's 1/16 at the rear and 1/16 at the front. Another suggestion, is i set my feathers at 3/8 inch in front of nock forward edge. I see other archers arrows fletched all kinds of ways. However in order to fletch an arrow right, you've got to pay attention to the balance of an arrow, in the placement of the fletch. If you don't, you will wind up with some that shoot good and some that don't shoot so good. Don't be swayed by pretty arrows. Some ugly ducklings will fool you when shot, if they are fletched right. Like those HUNTING THE HARD WAY made rabbit hunting arrows. I'd take a sack full of them any day and go a hunting. And i wouldn't worry about losing one.
Every body likes for others to brag upon their archery equipment, when gathering. Nothing wrong with feeling good about what you or someone else has made for you. But after explaining all this scientific defining, as i have above, it will make you stop and think about what an arrow has got to do for you, in order for you to hit anything. Many of you lack the time to study the indepth workings of an arrow when shot. Howard Hill did all of is during his early archery career and he taught it to me. Very few archery manufactures today, truly understand or can explain such things to you. Howard Hill studied archery like he was studying for a test at school. He taught these things that he learned and since that time i have expanded upon these early teachings. Reading what i have written is probably your first time in having someone explain such things. The reason others don't, is because they have not taken the time to learn such fundamentals of the working parts of an arrow while in flight. While working at Curtis Aircraft in Miami Florida during the 1920's, he was fortunate to have access to a wind tunnel. Using what has been called Liquid Smoke, he studied the wind characteristics of an arrow, and determined what length, height , shape and degree of angle when fletched would work the best on his arrow. Once he found it, he never changed. So many times his life depended on his arrow to be right. Other times just as important, others lives depended on his arrows to be right too. 
So now comes the question? If you have the time, will you take my advise and make your arrows based on my experience. Or if you don't have the time to spend many long hours cutting trees, turning dowels for arrow shafts, painting, nocking and fletching, and doing all the other necessary things in order to produce as perfect an arrow as possible. Will you let my personal arrowsmith Julien Besio-Laurens at VIKING ARROWS do the job for you. Every step will be taken, in order to produce for you, a set of arrows that even HOWARD HILL would approve for his own shooting. Pictures will be coming soon as well as ordering information. So please be patient, as He and I get everything as perfect as possible before release. If I'm not happy, then I know you won't be either. I want to be happy, as a piece of my life is going into this project. With that said, my spirit will guide your way in the sport of archery forever and my contribution to our great sport will be fulfilled, by making this arrow shared with you, my legacy and Howard Hills legacy will live on forever. The JERRY HILL DELUXE ARROW with the HILL FRENCH CURVE FLETCH will make you stand out, where ever you go. Other archers will know, once they see what you are carrying in your archery quiver, that you are a serious shooter. You'll be the proudest archer there, knowing you're shooting the best ever made. An arrow that has so many historical connections, that date so far back in time. JERRY HILL..........
vikingarrows

Message par CANAIMA le Mer 21 Sep - 17:43

"Célebre" ? Tu veux parler de face de bouc ? Je fais un blocage…
A part la missive de M.Hill est fort instructive

CANAIMA

Message par vikingarrows le Mer 21 Sep - 17:47

CANAIMA a écrit:"Célebre" ? Tu veux parler de face de bouc ? Je fais un blocage…
A part la missive de M.Hill est fort instructive

il a posté beaucoup d'autres messages en rapport avec les JERRY HILL DELUX ARROWS, il est très bavard ! 
dommage, tu fais un blocage !
vikingarrows

Message par vikingarrows le Mar 27 Sep - 11:37

Le gabarit pour le coupe plume est arrivé :

vikingarrows

Message par vikingarrows le Mar 27 Sep - 11:42